Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Daughter Link

Today I bought a journal to begin to write down all the words of knowledge, experience, wisdom and insight for my daughter that I want to be certain to pass on for her maturing and adult years. No one should ever lose a parent, I know from all the time I've spent with my oldest homeschooling him through highschool, all our talks, all my lectures, all our tears, as a young adult I still have not said all that I would like to say nor am I certain he heard all I DID say in the tone and nature of how I meant it. Even deliberating over every word for my daughter, I know in my heart I won't cover everything. There will still be clueless questions and empty silences.

While searching for a journal, I pondered the idea that every parent should do this for their children, daughters and sons, even when they expect to share a very long and fulfilling life together. Getting down in words the love, the desires, the dreams, the experiences and understanding is so important. Life gets too busy and things are left unsaid or half said. It took me decades to glean the knowledge of the world and my God that I do have, as meager as that may be. I'd like my children to benefit from what I have learned, have freedom to learn their own lessons, and dream their own dreams, and be enveloped in the love of a Sovereign God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Know what....I don't believe anything we say to our kids in love goes unheard.  My son teaches Adult Bible study at church and I cannot count the times he has used my words as examples.  Instances that I had totally forgotten has been brought out.  Little gems I have tried to plant he has remembered.  He is grown with a son of his own now and I catch him telling his son, Tristan, the same things I told him.  Makes my buttons pop and lets me know what we do and say will last a kid's lifetime.

Love the idea of a journal.  My eldest granddaughter wants me to make a video of "wisdom" as she calls it.  She is so sweet but me appearing on a video for generations down the line is just not my cup of tea.  Maybe you might think of doing that.  You can just sit it up and do it alone....that would be amazing for your children.

Love your blog.

Your friend,
Juanita