Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Lights

Everywhere we turn we see the sparkle of Christmas flickering in the dark evenings and in the eyes of the children. A Saturday's stretching, reaching and climbing produced garlands and lights around our door and entry. Slowly and gradually the upcoming celebration is creeping into our home. My youngest son keeps us up to date with the daily countdown more accurately than the counter in the postoffice.

Thanks to an outpatient procedure this past week, the great discomfort I'd been experiencing has been relieved. I hope soon to hear a date to begin chemotherapy once again, this time using Avastin. The great wonder drug that gave me the past 2 years is no longer effective for me. The cruel fate of ovarian cancer is it's devious ability to grow resistant to most treatments. I look forward to whipping this curr one more time, albeit briefly, yet with some trepidition as continued chemo is never a desired treatment. It is hard on the bone marrow and wears the body down.

In steps forward for a New Year, I have made some drastic dietary changes. I've eliminated caffeine, most sugars (just a bit now and then), and have begun juicing daily and primarily trying to eat vegan. What a challenge but I am feeling good and doing well at this time. What little meats I am eating don't seem to do much harm and I feel so much better with much much reduced dairy in my food choices. The progression of ovarian cancer tends to involve some difficult bowel issues and I am trying to prevent or avoid that as much as possible with this new diet. Now to master tofu.

2 comments:

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

My sister was diagnosed with third-stage cancer about a year ago. She was already vegan but since then she's been on a no-sugar, raw foods only diet and thinks it's helping her. I hope what you're doing will help you too.

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

Oh! And good luck on the tofu. I HATE that stuff! Ugh! Though my sister claims (and my mom confirms--though I won't taste) that she can make incredibly great dishes with it, including things like ice cream.